__Brevity is the soul of wit

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Play It Again Sam Nites (PIAS)

The Van Jets
So, my friend Rose always gets lucky on the internet. And by that I mean  she wins tickets for almost every-freaking-thing. Which is cool because she likes to take me with her. High five!
So last Friday we frolicked happily -and completely knackered as we went out the night before as well- to Tour & Taxis, where a noisy yet welcoming night awaited us.


Great T-shirt Johannes.
We arrived in the middle of The Van Jets , who were playing in front of an -almost empty- hall.
But I'm talking about 7pm here. No one is as mad to start that early -cough- unless you're a die-hard fan.
Well I'm not, but I still think they're pretty good. Oh and leadsinger Johannes jumped right in the audience at the end of their set. Amusing.




                                                                       
Next were The Jim Jones Revue, some English rock/punk/garagerock which sounded pretty damn good. I would describe it as loud, wild and distorted. In a good way that is. 


The Jim Jones Revue















What followed next was a total surprise; Brooklyn duo Matt and Kim took over the stage with this amazing energy that completely submerged the audience. Honestly, those two might be the most energetic people I've ever seen (and I frequently visit my nephew with ADD). Kim was jumping up and down, climbing on her drums as if she were Julius Caesar, and her mission was to come, see and conquer. She's pretty straight as well, saying things like "Come on ladies, we're gonna get so nasty tonight we'll rub our vagina's to the floor." ; a bunch of 16 year old girls were screaming their lungs out whilst hearing this.Slightly disturbing.  Anyway ,Matt was as well matched to her; doing things on his stool you would expect gymnasts to do during the Olympics. Ok I'm exaggerating, but it was impressive. And then they threw balloons  -yaaay balloons- in the audience and asked them to blow 'em up and...oh well you get the picture.
I met them with Rose after the show as well, they're really cool!







pretty innit?

Kim's face's hiding behind cymbals.
Oh yes she jumped in the audience.

Crystal Fighers

Crystal Fighters

























 Next were Crystal Fighters, a band that I didn't know quite frankly, SHAME ON ME.
They are so different from anything I've ever seen or heard. It's a mix of...everything. I can't explain. Wow. They kinda looked like a bunch of hippies, but accompanied by some divine music-making. And a hot guitarist. Sorry, had to mention that.

Buraka Som Sistema
Buraka Som Sistema came next when we were all warmed up and they nearly KILLED us. Seriously. My legs still hurt. They started a little bit mellow and I was about to go and sit down till SHE came on stage; mraaw in a leopard print-cat suit. Man, that woman can shake her booty so that even Beyoncé would get an inferiority complex.







Cassius, Aeroplane and Mustang had the responsibility to keep us dancing till the curtains dropped. And they did. End of story. Thank you Pias Nites. It was great.



Cassius

Mustang








Rose & Me, I think I'm gonna grow an afro.